Bonsai Art for Beginners
Time & Location
About the Event
Ever wondered how to create a bonsai tree? Join us at Bebop Bonsai for a Bonsai Art For Beginners workshop on Saturday, September 11, 2021, at 10 am. This BYOTree workshop (juniper and spruce only: I will explain why at the workshop!) will cover the fundamentals of bonsai design, care, and maintenance, and allow participants the opportunity to create their very own bonsai design from start to finish.
This Bonsai Art For Beginners Workshop will blend classroom-type instruction and hands-on learning to cover the following topics in a step-by-step manner:
- What is a Bonsai? A Brief History of the art form; traditional vs non-traditional. Bonsai in The East and The West.
- Basics Of Bonsai Design. An Overview of classic styles and the pots chosen for each style.
- Designing a Bonsai. What does the tree want? Getting a vision: How to define your tree’s design even before you cut or wire a single branch. Choosing branches.
- Making the Cut. How to make big decisions early to advance your bonsai design. What to cut and Why.
- Bonsai Pot Prep. Prepare your pot: How to wire in drainage screens. How to prepare the wire to secure the tree in the pot.
- Bonsai Tree Prep. Working the roots. Rootball cutting. Sizing the rootball for the bonsai vessel.
- Potting a Bonsai. Nailing the angle. Securing the tree. Adding soil.
- Watering your tree. When to do it and how much.
AFTERCARE is provided at our garden facility for two weeks after this workshop, to help ensure your tree’s vigor and longevity. Since this is a beginner workshop, please allow us to take care of your tree during this critical recovery phase!
Cost: $75 per person. Lock in your spot early: This event is limited to four participants, so your payment reserves your spot. Rain-Date will be September 12, 1-4pm.
What you need to bring:
- A (1) nursery stock spruce or juniper (in a nursery pot up to 2 gal)
- An open mind.
Suggested additional items:
- Gardening gloves
- Small watering can
- Small secateurs/pruning scissors
- A hat in case of bright sun.
- Any food/beverages/whatever you need to maintain your personal homeostasis.
What you get:
- Up to three hours of combined group and individual instruction/assistance, as necessary to complete your project.
- An appropriate size and shape bonsai pot, up to 8 inches, chosen specifically for your tree and how it is styled
- bonsai soil substrate, measured and triple-sifted by hand at Bebop Bonsai. This soil is pre-mixed and blended in appropriate ratios for Spruce and Juniper bonsai. Participants will get enough for their project, although our regular 3lb and 2lb bags will also be available for purchase in the shop.
- Bonsai wire from 2mm to 6mm, custom cut for your project. Wiring with the appropriate technique is challenging, and individual assistance will be available during the workshop!
- Bonsai scissors, secateurs, and other cutters will be available to borrow, but I encourage you to bring your own if you can.
- Bonsai For Beginners$75+$5.25 Sales Tax+$2.01 Service fee$75+$5.25 Sales Tax+$2.01 Service fee0$0